Research priorities and themes for the MWRPP are co-developed (by the Waterway Ecosystem Research Group and Melbourne Water) through an annual workshop, conducted to identify:
- Strategic research questions to be addressed;
- Broad methods to address the research questions;
- Potential research collaborators;
- Potential avenues for funding of the research, including external opportunities; and
- Desired outputs for knowledge dissemination.
This approach allows research projects to be tailored to meet the strategic priorities identified in the Water Plan, and those which occur as a result of unforeseen circumstances during a Water Plan period. The current set of research themes being pursued by the MWRPP are:
- Waterway health planning tools;
- Waterway hydrology and geomorphology;
- Urban and rural stormwater management for waterway health;
- Riparian and wetland vegetation management; and
- Community participation in waterway management.